Staying safe as restaurants re-open
As restaurants continue to reopen, we expect more customers to place orders with Deliveroo which means you’ll be busier and be able to earn more. But it’s critical that you continue to do all you can to protect yourself while you work. Here are some things to keep top of mind whenever you choose to ride:
Always follow our contact-free policies
To safeguard your health, as well as the health of restaurant staff and customers, it is vital that you continue to follow all contact-free policies:
- You should always stay at least 1.5 metres away from everyone else. This includes while you’re waiting to be offered an order, waiting to collect one, or when just taking a break.
- The pickup of every order should be contact-free. If a restaurant does not have a contact-free pickup process in place please make sure you let the Rider Support team know so we can take action.
- Always deliver contact-free. You should never pass an order over to a customer directly. Every order you deliver should be placed on the ground outside the customer’s door for them to collect. Make sure the customer has collected it before leaving.
- Check ID at a safe distance. If a customer orders age-restricted items, ask them to hold their ID out at arm’s length so you can check they’re 18 years old or older.
- Order your free face masks and hand sanitiser. We never want you to feel unsafe while you work. That’s why we’ve made face masks and hand sanitiser available to all riders in Australia. Click here to order.
Stay safe on the road
More people are using the roads again to get to work, visit friends or go to the shops. When you’re on the road, always put your personal safety first:
- Stay aware of what other road users and pedestrians around you are doing. This will give you more time to react and avoid any possible danger if someone is driving or acting recklessly.
- Stay well within the speed limit, wear highly visible clothing and follow all road rules. If you ride a bicycle, use cycle lanes where possible and do not cycle on the pavement or other pedestrianised areas.
If you or another rider is involved in an accident, call 000 straight away. Once you are safe, let the Rider Support team know. Whenever you’re working with Deliveroo you’re covered by our free accident insurance. This ensures that you can receive supporting income if you’re unable to work following an accident.
- Keep yourself refreshed when it comes to road safety. Further guidance and safety videos are available on the rider website and can be accessed at any time.
Delivering to Melbourne lockdown hotspots
Your safety is always our priority.
Today the Victorian Government announced that the following areas in Melbourne will be going back to a stage 3 lockdown from 11.59pm tonight, as they the number of COVID-19 cases have continued to increase: Taylors Lakes, Craigieburn, Broadmeadows, Fawkner, Maidstone, West Footscray, Maribyrnong, Ascot Vale, Brunswick West, Keilor Park, Niddrie, St Albans, and Glenroy. Restaurants in these areas will now only be open for takeaway and delivery services.
Some other areas where COVID-19 cases have recently increased are: Broadmeadows, Maidsone, Sunshine West, Hallam, Fawkner, Reservoir, and Packenham.
Our records show that you or your delegate have recently delivered orders in at least one of these areas.
Customers in these areas will still be able to order food from Deliveroo. You are still free to work when you want to and can pick up orders from our restaurant partners and deliver to customers in these areas. You are also free to reject any orders you are offered from these areas if you do not wish to enter them.
Whenever you choose to ride, please remember that you must follow all of Deliveroo’s safety policies. This will help protect your own health, as well as the health of customers and restaurant staff.
Regularly wash your hands with soap and water and wipe down your bag. This should be done before, during and after each time you ride.
Stay at least 1.5 metres away from others, including other riders, at all times. Riders should not gather in groups anywhere – especially outside or near restaurants – when waiting to collect orders as well as in between orders.
The pickup of every order should be contact-free. If a restaurant does not have a contact-free pickup process in place please make sure you let the Rider Support team know so we can take action.
Always deliver contact-free. You should never pass an order over to a customer directly. Every order you deliver should be placed on the ground outside the customer’s door for them to collect. Make sure the customer has collected it before leaving.
If a delegate regularly uses your account, you must also ensure they understand and follow these policies.
We act on all reports we receive from riders, restaurants and customers about riders who are not complying with their safety obligations or failing to maintain a safe distance from others. Any riders who fail to do so repeatedly will no longer be able to work with Deliveroo.
For more information about COVID-19 in Victoria, please visit the Australian Government Department of Health’s website.
Deliveroo remains committed to supporting you throughout this unprecedented time. We will continue to keep you updated with the latest guidance from the Government and ourselves.
Remember, if you start to feel ill or test positive for COVID-19, follow all medical advice, do not log in and let us know immediately. For additional advice visit the Australian Department of Health website.
If you have any questions, please contact the Rider Support team via the Help Centre.
Contact-free pick up and delivery
From today the pick up and delivery of all orders must be contact-free. This is to help protect the safety and health of everyone in Australia as the COVID-19 outbreak continues.
Contact-free pick up
We have asked all of our restaurant partners to introduce contact-free pick up for Deliveroo riders.
To enable contact-free pick up, many restaurants will:
- Continue to properly seal all packaging and bags using tape or stickers
- Create a waiting area for riders inside the restaurant where they can wait a safe distance away from each other
- Create a waiting area for other riders outside the restaurant – riders should stay a safe distance away from other riders and staff while waiting outside even if there is no dedicated waiting area
- Create pick up areas, as far from food preparation as possible, that means no direct contact between riders and restaurant staff will be required to pick up an order
- Have someone from their team manage pick ups during busy times
- Make sure that only 1 order at a time is collected from a pick up area
- Make soap and water or hand sanitising gel available to riders whenever possible
Please make sure that you bring your thermal bag into the restaurant with you when picking up an order. You should always place the order in your thermal bag and seal it before leaving the restaurant.
Restaurant wait times may be impacted because of this exceptional situation, so we ask for your patience and understanding during this time. We also ask that you respect social distancing recommendations at all times and remain at least 1.5 metre away from others while you wait.
Every time a customer places a new order, ‘Contact-free delivery’ will now be automatically selected. We have sent an email to our customers to tell them that all orders will be delivered this way from now on.
Follow these steps when making a contact-free delivery:
- Let the customer know you’ve arrived
- Leave the order outside the customer’s door
- Step back at least 1.5 metre and wait nearby for the customer to collect it
- Tap ‘Complete delivery’ only when you’ve seen the customer collect it
If the order contains age restricted products like alcohol or tobacco, you should still follow Deliveroo’s Challenge 25 policy. Ask the customer to hold their ID up for you to check, but don’t take it from them.
Yesterday the Government announced that all restaurants in Australia will be closed from midday today until further notice, but customers will still be able to order from restaurants on Deliveroo.
This means you are still free to work when you want and can pick up orders from our restaurant partners. We are also in touch with all our restaurant partners and have let them know they can still provide food delivery services through Deliveroo.
While waiting to collect an order, please respect social distancing recommendations and stand at least 1.5 metres away from other people, including restaurant staff and riders.
Please also make sure you check the delivery notes of each order to see whether a customer has asked for it to be delivered contact-free.
If you have any questions, please contact the Rider Support team.
Helping protect the safety of our riders, restaurant partners and customers is extremely important during this time. With this in mind, please make sure to follow every customer request you receive for contact-free delivery.
If we receive several reports about a rider not following Deliveroo’s contact-free policy, their Supplier Agreement may be terminated.
Get a refund of up to $10 on hand sanitiser
At Deliveroo, we take the safety of our riders, restaurants and customers extremely seriously, in particular at this time when reports of COVID-19 continue to grow.
We know that you will be taking measures to make sure you stay safe, as well as protect the health of our restaurant partners and customers.
As we mentioned recently, we’re working hard to provide all riders with hand sanitiser, however global supplies are low so this may take some time.
In the meantime, we are offering you a refund of up to $10 on your recent purchases of hand sanitiser.
How do I claim my refund?
Complete this form with information about your purchase.
The form will ask you to upload a photo of your receipt. The receipt must:
- Be an itemised tax receipt, showing the purchase was for hand sanitiser (all brands accepted)
- Be dated between Monday 2nd March and Sunday 29th March inclusive
- You will also need to write your name and Rider ID clearly on the receipt for it to be valid
When will I get my refund?
Your refund will be included as a payment adjustment on your next invoice at the end of the next rider fee period.
If you have any questions about claiming a refund for hand sanitiser, please contact our Rider Support team via the Help Centre.
Deliveroo is in contact with the relevant authorities on a daily basis and will continue to update you with the latest advice as we receive it.
Please take care of yourself and others – continue to monitor your emails and check this page for up-to-date guidance on how to stay safe when working with Deliveroo.
*Terms and Conditions
You must have an active Deliveroo rider account and have completed at least one delivery with Deliveroo in the 28 days prior to receiving this email to be eligible for a refund
Each rider can make 1 claim of up to $10. You can submit more than 1 receipt as part of your claim but all receipts must be submitted at the same time.
Your receipt must be an itemised tax receipt, stating that the purchase was for hand sanitiser and that the purchase took place between Monday 2nd March and Sunday 29th March inclusive
You must clearly write your name and Rider ID on the receipt in order for it to be valid
Screenshots of bank transactions and non-itemised receipts will not be accepted as proof of purchase
The policy will remain under review as this unprecedented situation develops.
Customers will be able to choose ‘Contact-free delivery’ at check-out. You’ll be able to see when a customer has selected this option in the order’s delivery notes.
Limiting contact when delivering orders will help keep everyone healthy.
How to make a contact-free delivery:
- Check the delivery notes to see if a contact-free delivery has been asked for
- Let the customer know you’ve arrived
- Place your thermal bag open on the ground outside their door
- Step back at least 1 metre and wait nearby for them to collect it
- Mark the order as delivered only when you’ve seen the customer collect it
Should every delivery be contact-free?
No, you’ll be able to see whether a customer has selected ‘Contact-free delivery’ in the order’s delivery notes. Please follow the customer’s wishes whenever you see this has been asked for.
Can I choose to make every delivery contact-free?
If you want to carry out contact-free deliveries to limit contact with others, please let customers know by contacting them through the app before you arrive.
Should I avoid direct contact with restaurant staff too?
If you want to limit your contact with others, please let the staff know once you’ve arrived at the restaurant and politely ask if they can place the order you’re collecting on the counter when ready instead of handing it over to you.
We continue to share COVID-19 guidance with all restaurant partners, and they have put their own measures in place to guard against the risk of infection for their employees, riders and customers.
If you start to feel ill or test positive for COVID-19, follow all medical advice, do not log in and let us know immediately.
If you have any questions or concerns about COVID-19, don’t hesitate to contact our dedicated Rider Support team.
Deliveroo’s Rider Support Fund – for those impacted by Coronavirus
Your safety is our priority and we want to make sure that riders who work regularly with Deliveroo and have contracted the virus or been placed in quarantine by a medical authority will be eligible for financial support for a period of up to 14 days.
Deliveroo is creating a support fund to make sure that riders impacted by the virus are supported during this difficult time.
This is a one-off fund that will be time-limited and designed to support riders in these unique and difficult circumstances. The policy will remain under review as this unprecedented situation develops.
Deliveroo has already issued guidance on how you can protect yourself and others. We remain in contact with relevant authorities on a daily basis and will continue to update you with all the latest advice as we receive it.
This fund is designed to support the riders who need it most. However, fraud is a criminal offence. It is important that we state that if the fund is abused we will enforce our rights to the fullest extent, which may include termination of your service agreement together with other legal remedies. We will also notify the police and other relevant enforcement agencies of any suspected abuse.
If you have contracted COVID-19, or have been placed in quarantine by a medical authority, please contact the Rider Support team through the help centre for further information about how to apply for financial support from the fund.
For everyone else please take care and continue to check back for updated guidance on how to stay safe when working.
At Deliveroo we take the safety of our riders, restaurants and customers extremely seriously, in particular at this time when reports of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) continue to grow.
For the latest updates and guidance on COVID-19 in Australia, please visit the Australian Government Department of Health website.
We know that you will want to make sure you stay safe during this time, as well as help protect the health of restaurant partners and customers.
Below are a set of small but important steps you can take to help achieve this. We will keep this, and you, updated as the situation progresses.
World Health Organisation Guidance
The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends that the following general cold and flu precautions are taken to help prevent people from catching and spreading COVID-19:
● Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
● Put used tissues in the bin straight away.
● Wash your hands with soap and water often – use hand sanitiser gel if soap
and water are not available.
● Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
● Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
● Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
Staying Safe while working with Deliveroo
❖ Make sure to regularly wash your Deliveroo kit or clothes you wear while
riding. Click here to order new or replacement kit.
❖ Wipe down your thermal bag before and after each time you ride.
❖ Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly before you go online, and carry a bottle of hand sanitiser with you so you can keep them clean throughout your time on the road.
❖ Always store food in your thermal bag.
❖ Seal your bag as soon as you’ve packed an order and keep it closed until you’ve reached the customer’s location.
❖ Regularly check the Australian Government Department of Health website to keep up to date on the advice that they provide.
❖ Do not log in if you begin to feel unwell or display any symptoms of COVID-19. Seek medical attention straight away and avoid close contact with others.
❖ Immediately notify us if you have tested positive for COVID-19. We will need to contact any restaurant partners and customers who you may have come into contact with during that period, so we can check whether they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.
If you have any concerns or questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our dedicated Rider Support team through the help centre.